Tighes Hill History and Today

Tighes Hill is a north-western suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales and was named after A.A.P. Tighe, an early resident, who in 1843 bought the estate.

 It is primarily an industrial area with residential parts expanding toward Mayfield.

 Tighes Hill developed from the construction of a bridge over Throsby Creek at the opening of the Ferndale Colliery in 1877. Within three years the suburb had a school, post office, church and stores. In April, 1894, a tram line was opened to Tighes Hill which extended to Mayfield in 1901.

Today Tighes Hill provides housing near the CBD. Tighes Hill has now become a trendy inner suburb of the Newcastle inner city area with a large influx of young professionals and families looking to live an inner city lifestyle at the affordable end of town.

In August 2010, a property in Tighes Terrace,Tighes Hill was sold at a record breaking price of $950,000 for this inner city suburb.

The School of Arts building has had a variety of uses supporting arts and the community in Newcastle. Recently the building reopened as The Tighes Hill School of Arts, Gallery in January 2009.