Waratah and Georgetown NSW History and Today

Georgetown is a suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, located 6 kilometres from Newcastle's central business district.

It is part of the City of Newcastle local government area.

Georgetown is named after George Moate, as is Moate Street in the centre of the suburb. Moate acquired land in the general area of Georgetown in 1853, which he subdivided into an estate.

Georgetown began as a residential area for workers from industries like the Copper Smelting Works (Goninans) located nearby. By 1880, Georgetown was already described as a prosperous village.

Today Georgetown is a residential area that has good accessibility to local services such as transport, schools and shops.

Waratah was once a major Municipality in its own right, with an elected council and mayor, incorporated in 1871. Two notable mayors, both elected to the office three times each were John Scholey and auctioneer N.B.Creer, both of whom resided at North Waratah (now Mayfield, New South Wales).

Scholey was instrumental in the establishment of the Waratah Bowling Club of which he was also Patron. Originally Waratah had as its industrial base a large colliery bearing its name.

The suburb contains a major acute hospital, the Calvary Mater, owned by the Roman Catholic Sisters of Mercy, who, until recently occupied all the most senior nursing positions. Nearby is an established major 150+ -bed independent Home of the Elderly, Maroba.


Callaghan College, Waratah Technology Campus (Years 7-10) (formerly Waratah High School, and before that Newcastle Boys' High School, and before that Newcastle High School) Waratah Public School (State sector) St. Philip's Christian College Corpus Christi (Roman Catholic Primary School)

Waratah has one shopping centre, Waratah Village, containing a Coles and a Kmart store, a Newsagent, a Post Office, Newcastle Permanent Building Society branch, and other specialty stores. Every Christmas it is renowned for an exuberant lighting.